Hiring someone to document your wedding day can feel like a nerve-racking task. A wedding photographer is capturing your biggest day and you want to know that they’ll be able to catch all of the special moments as you celebrate your marriage with your new spouse and loved ones. So what should you even be asking when talking with potential photographers?
First Steps After Getting Engaged
First off – CELEBRATE! You are entering one of the best seasons of life. But it can come with some stress. So, celebrate this moment before you dive into checking things off your to-do list.
Next, before you start looking to book a wedding photographer, it is important to book your venue so that you have a location and date for your wedding day. Most photographers will want to know these two things before moving forward with you so they can make sure they are available.
Then, it’s time to start chatting with photographers. And while you may be excited to hire them based on what you’ve seen on social media or their website, there are some important questions you’ll want to make sure and ask.
Questions to Ask a Wedding Photographer
- What is your backup system for all of your files?
- This is important to know that your images are safe after your photographer has taken them on your wedding day.
- How many photos can we expect to receive?
- A wedding day is long and there are many moments you’ll want to make sure to capture. Make sure you are comfortable that your photographer will deliver enough photos for you!
- Can we see a full gallery of a few recent weddings so we know what to expect?
- This is a big one when it comes to understanding what a full wedding day looks like from a potential photographer. You may love what you’ve seen them share on social media, but they don’t always encompass the entire day.
- Do you carry backup equipment?
- Make sure there’s a backup plan for the day!
- Can we request a list of specific shots we want?
- Trusting your photographer to capture your day is normal (it’s our job), but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a list a special photos you want to make sure are captured on your day. Make sure your photographer is ok with this guidance!
- What is it like to work with you on the day of?
- On the day of your wedding, you should be your photographer’s full focus. Make sure the way they work is what you imagined having for your wedding day!
For more questions ask before hiring a wedding photographer, check out this article on Brides!
Looking for an Austin wedding photographer? Let’s chat! My books are open for new weddings and I’d love to talk about how I could serve you on your wedding day.